Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I know what I'm doing tonight...

...and it's not what you're thinking, at least not early on.

From the ripe old age of 10, I have suffered from a serious affliction - drumming. I remember a kid not much older than I coming to school and playing drums in some sort of band concert. I thought, if he could do it, I could do it better. That's become an informal theme for my life. Just ask my wife.

Anyway...I got my first kit - made up of beautiful translucent-blue plastic shells - and I was hooked. Who knew hitting something could be musical?

Over the last three decades, drumming has provided an outlet for creativity - which I've never had much of - and energy - which I have too much of. Just ask my wife. It also has led to several long-enduring friendships and kept me out of a lot of trouble. I've learned the addiction is congenial. My oldest son is quite the timekeeper. I can't wait to see him mature as a player.

For several years, I have not given as much time to playing as I should. There's work, kids and a few hundred other things that have taken precedence. Tonight, my sweet wife will take my beautiful daughter for her weekly dance lesson. While they're knee deep in Swan Lake or some modern jazz routine, I plan to put on Rush's Moving Pictures album and play through the last notes or until my arms give out.

My bet is on the latter happening first. Either way, I'm sure it will be a blast.

No comments: